Maintaining consistency in your fitness journey is absolutely the key to achieving your goals. Whether you’re aiming to lose weight, build muscle, improve cardiovascular health, or simply lead a more active lifestyle, establishing consistent habits is the only way. At DSC, we use five proven strategies to help you stay on track and get consistent with your fitness routine.
1. Set Realistic Goals: Before you begin your fitness journey, it’s important to set realistic and achievable goals. While it’s great to dream big, setting goals that are too ambitious can lead to frustration and burnout. For instance, let’s say you want to run a marathon. A great way to set yourself up for success is with a couch to 5k training plan. Then you might move up to a half marathon. Not only does this help you get to your destination in a smarter way, you get to celebrate reall successes along the way and in doing so, will build confidence and motivation to push you forward to the next step.
2. Create a Sustainable Routine: Consistency thrives on routine!! Develop a fitness schedule that suits your lifestyle and commitments. At DSC, we achieve this with our scheduling app. This way, you book a class and now it’s on your calendar. Whether you’re an early riser who enjoys morning workouts or someone who prefers to exercise in the evenings, find a routine that aligns with your preferences to increase the likelihood of sticking to it.
3. Find Activities You Enjoy: The key to long-term consistency is finding physical activities that you genuinely enjoy. When you join DSC, you will see that along with amazing programming and professional coaching, we add in a healthy dose of variety and fun. We make it fun so that exercise becomes less of a chore and instead becomes something to look forward to. A positive association between fitness and fun will super charge your commitment and consistency.
4. Track Your Progress: Tracking your progress is a powerful motivator. At DSC, we use a fitness app called TrainHeroic which comes free with your membership, to record your workouts, measurements, and how you feel after each session. Over time, you’ll be able to see the improvements you’ve made, which can inspire you to keep going. Celebrate your successes, no matter how small, as they are a testament to your dedication and effort.
5. Embrace Flexibility and Adaptability: Life is unpredictable, and there will be days when sticking to your planned fitness routine becomes challenging. Don’t let these moments derail your progress. Instead, cultivate a mindset to embrace flexibility and adaptability. If you miss a workout due to unforeseen circumstances, don’t dwell on it. Simply adjust your schedule and continue moving forward. The key is not to let one setback lead to a complete derailment of your consistency. We all experience setbacks, the key is to keep going!
Bonus Tip: Accountability and Support: Having a workout buddy, fitness community, or accountability partner can provide an extra layer of motivation and commitment. This is where DSC can be key!! When you know someone is relying on you, either because you have scheduled the class on our DSC app, or because our coaches know you and notice when you’re not in class or because you have made friends in the gym who can’t wait to see you, you’re more likely to show up and stay consistent.